Physicians use many tests to help diagnose a patient with a heart condition. Herrin Hospital offers a comprehensive array of diagnostic services that include:
- Electrocardiography (EKG/ECG) - Evaluation of your heart that measures the electrical signals that control the rhythm of your heartbeat.
- Stress Test (Exercise Electrocardiography) - Electrocardiography done during exercise to evaluate how the heart responds to the demands of physical activity.
- Holter monitoring (Ambulatory Electrocardiography) - Evaluation using a small battery-powered recorder to continuously monitor the electrical activity of your heart for 24 hours.
- Echocardiography - Evaluation of the structure of the heart and the velocity of the blood flow using sound waves.
- Dobutamine Echocardiography - A non-exercise evaluation the heart for patients who have asthma or other breathing difficulties.
- Stress Echocardiography - Evaluation of the structure of the heart during physical activity using sound waves.
- Persantine/Adenosine Stress Test - A non-exercise evaluation of the heart for patients who are unable to walk on a treadmill. This test uses a medication that makes the heart respond as if the patient were really exercising.
- Cardiolite/Sestamibi Thallium Cardiac Scan (Nuclear Medicine Cardiac Scan) - a scan of the heart using harmless radioactive tracers to estimate the amount of blood reaching the heart muscle during rest and exercise.
- Cardiac Enzyme Testing - a test that helps confirm or diagnose a heart attack by evaluating the level of special enzymes in the heart.
- Cardiac Risk Profile (lipid panel) - a blood test to determine the level of cholesterol, tryglycerides, HDL, and LDL in the bloodstream.
Our courteous and professional staff will help with instruction during the tests and make you feel comfortable.